Thursday, September 13, 2012

Weekly Recommendations, Week 37: Shabazz Palaces

When I was a youngster, I developed an obsession for rap music. As I got older, I moved on to various other genres of music, yet I have never lost my love for hip hop. Digable Planets was one of my most favorite rap groups as a youngster. However, after two incredible albums in the early 1990's, they mysteriously disappeared, much to my dismay. Consider my surprise when I learned that Butterfly of Digable Planets (one of three members) had formed a new group, Shabazz Palaces, and not only had released a full length album along with a couple of EP's, but was also opening for My Morning Jacket on their tour through Boise, ID. Luckily, I was able to attend, and was blown away by how incredible Butterfly's new duo is. The Shabazz Palaces recordings are great for sure, but if you by some awesome chance get to see these guys live, prepare to be overwhelmed by their incredible-ness. Thus, I highly recommend any contact at all that you might have with Shabazz Palaces, but especially a live show.


No comments: