Saturday, August 30, 2008
The 5 DVDs at the Top of My Netflix Queue
1. Trailer Park Boys, Seasons 1 & 2 Disc 3
2. Dan in Real Life
4. Noam Chomsky: Distorted Morality
5. Batman: Gotham Knight
A radio show/podcast recommendation especially for you: Destination DIY
Check it out for sure. The latest episode is about urban farming.
Fall semester has begun. Is summer really coming to an end? I guess Donald Draper was right. That's a bummer.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Top Five Clubs That I Must See A Show In Before I Die (in no particular order)
-40 Watt Club in Athens, GA
-924 Gilman Street in Berkeley, CA
-ABC No Rio in New York City, NY
-Emo's in Austin, TX
-Crystal Ballroom in Portland, OR
CBGB in NYC would of course be on this list if it hadn't closed down a couple years ago. I'm sure there are lots of others that I could add, but my mind is blank right now.
"I've got one hand on the wheel
the other's out the window
with a smile on my face
my middle finger's up."
-Less Than Jake
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Complete Albums That I Have Listened To Since Last Tuesday (8/5)
-Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - s/t
-Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
-Animal Collective - Feels
-Stephen Malkmus + The Jicks - Pig Lib
-Blonde Redhead - Fake Can Be Just As Real
-Free Kitten - Inherit
-The Sissies - Look Back and Laugh
-Rosa - I Mississippi You
-J Church - One Mississippi
-Radiohead - Hail to the Theif
-Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
-Brandtson - Send Us a Signal
"I can drink myself to sleep
and hopefully forget to breath
I hate what I've done to my life."
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Things That I Harvested From My Garden This Week (8/5 - 8/9)
-Mache (aka corn salad or lamb's lettuce)
-Arugula (aka Rocket)
Does urban/suburban farming interest you? Even if it doesn't, you should still check out this video. It's all about growing your own food, which is possible even if you live in an urban setting (and even if you are a renter). I like the guy's opinions about cohabiting with the insects and seed-saving. Something else you should check out is a documentary called The End of Suburbia. Perhaps you can find it at your local library or video store.
Also, a post on livejournal brought to my attention a little website called Zine Classifieds. I haven't posted anything on it yet, but it may be of interest to you.
"I know people say life goes on, and it does. But no one tells you that's not a good thing." -Betty Draper on Mad Men
Friday, August 01, 2008
People were posting these lists on facebook, and so I figured I had to do one, too. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But then it gave me this idea: since I like making lists and today is the first day of a new month, I am going to post a new list on here for each week of this month. They won't all be so long (in fact, they will be considerably shorter), and they will all have different themes. Just something to waste your time with, because that's all the internet seems to be for these days anyway.
101 Things You Probably Could Have Guessed About Me
- I like to make lists.
- I am fascinated by bugs.
- I have been doing zines for eleven years and have made more than 50 of them.
- I very rarely get bored.
- I wish that I could be a nomad, but I’m not cut out for it.
- I don’t like to drive.
- I’ve been playing guitar for more than 13 years and I still suck.
- I’ve been skateboarding for almost 13 years and I still suck.
- I have several dozen pen pals (I don’t really want to take the time to figure out the exact number).
- I’m a vegetarian…except when I eat the fish that I catch myself.
- I like to keep secrets.
- I like wearing glasses. I prefer them to contacts.
- On that note…I’m attracted to girls who wear glasses.
- I probably don’t trust you.
- I was in a punk band back in the day. I will be in a punk band again someday.
- My career goal is to be a rooftop gardener.
- I am a fierce independent and a defiant individualist.
- I think that celebrity crushes are lame, but I still have a few.
- I probably don’t believe you.
- I am rarely lonely alone.
- I am not in love.
- I am obsessed with the numbers seven and eleven.
- I am rarely without a pen and paper in my pocket, and when I am, I feel unprepared.
- I taught myself how to screenprint.
- I wish that I could hibernate in the winter.
- I have a mumbling problem and my voice is too quite.
- I could probably sing better if my voice were louder.
- I don’t like lima beans.
- My brothers are my best friends.
- I used to hate Idaho; now I think it’s an okay place (but Rigby can still burn in hell).
- My favorite kind of music is punk rock, and my favorite band is Sonic Youth.
- I have a goal to ride my bike across an entire state…I’d prefer it to be one of the larger states so that I don’t look like a total wimp (even though I am).
- I have often thought that marriage is weird…but at least it means fewer taxes.
- I refuse to have a pet (dog, cat, whatever) until I know for sure that I can give it the time that it requires and deserves.
- I had three dogs when I was a kid, and they all had to be given away for various reasons.
- I named my first dog, Buck, after the dog in the book, The Call of the Wild.
- I am addicted to sugar.
- I once went a whole year without drinking any soda, and then when I drank it again it made me sick.
- I wish that I could remember what it feels like to have a lasting crush on someone.
- I love being a bachelor.
- For a long time, I was intimidated by comic books; now, I can’t get enough of them.
- My new favorite comic book hero is the Blue Beetle.
- I am not a group conversationalist.
- I feel the most alive when I am either on my bike or my skateboard.
- It takes me forever to write papers for school because I agonize so much about word placement and sentence structure. It is taking me forever to write this list for that same reason.
- I became obsessed with baseball on my ninth birthday.
- I used to shoplift incessantly, and sometimes I wish that I still did.
- My brothers and friends got caught shoplifting, but I didn’t.
- I like to stay up late and wake up early…sleep is for wimps.
- I wish that humans didn’t have to sleep.
- I think that I would make a pretty good spy.
- I am trying to make my first batch of compost. It’s going pretty well.
- My mom thinks that I’d be happier if I were married. (See number 40.)
- I hate spitting, but for some reason, I spit a lot when I am riding my bike.
- Commas, are an, over-used, punctuation.
- I have probably judged you unfairly.
- I enjoy washing dishes.
- I love cooking, but I don’t like cooking for other people.
- I consider myself a luddite, but in many ways I am also technophile.
- When I lived at home with my family, I spent a large amount of my time alone in my room even when everyone else was busy doing things together (and by “doing things together” I mean watching TV).
- I am the king of awkwardness.
- I am very self-aware.
- My favorite kinds of movies are indie dramas and comedies
- I rarely read fiction, but I would like to start writing fiction again someday.
- I am working on a concept album (but I say that mostly to make myself sound cool).
- I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.
- I find little things funny that most other people don’t, so when I am laughing at something, it’s difficult to explain why.
- I am much more eloquent in my head than I am in conversation.
- I am much more eloquent on paper but still not as eloquent as I am in my head.
- I started writing my memoirs, but gave up.
- I want to hitchhike someday.
- I can tell you which copy machine in town makes the best copies.
- I wish that I wasn’t so selfish.
- I know that I said I like making lists, but I am getting tired of making this one.
- I used to pretend to like things just so that people would like me.
- I still think a lot about the girl that I had a crush on in junior high.
- I love watching/listening to/reading the news.
- I consider myself a closet socialist…decentralized socialism, that is.
- I don’t own a pair of jeans because I don’t like wearing them.
- I rarely wear shorts and I rarely go sockless (which apparently makes my brother uncomfortable).
- I only like swimming occasionally and not for very long.
- I almost drowned in a river when I was a little kid. My dad and grandpa saved my life. I think that’s why I hate being under water.
- My favorite book when I was a kid was, My Side of the Mountain, and so I tried to find reasons to run away and live by myself in the woods.
- I’m terrible at giving compliments.
- I’m not as good a listener as some people think I am, but I’m working on it.
- I used to think that I’d be dead at thirty; now, I’m sure that I will live into my nineties.
- I love simplicity and minimalism.
- I am torn between wanting to live in a big city and wanting to live in a small town.
- There is music in my head constantly.
- I wanted to major in communications but I was too scared/intimidated, so I chose horticulture.
- I often feel cosmically misplaced, like I was meant for another time and place but was accidentally put in this time and place (unfortunately).
- I’m very keen on expanding my vocabulary.
- You make me nervous.
- I think that confidence is a very attractive trait.
- I have two bum knees.
- I wish that I lived by the ocean.
- One of the best things about living with my parents was that I could play my guitar as loud as I wanted to and no one cared.
- I think that Northern California should be its own state.
- I hate commercials and I hate how they are usually louder than the TV programs.
- I want to be in a New York City noise band.
- I’m over it.